What to Expect
SmartLipo™ revolutionized laser-assisted lipolysis. Originally pioneered in Europe, SmartLipo was the first laser-assisted liposuction treatment on the market. It received FDA approval in November 2006 and quickly became the leader in laser assisted liposuction.
SmartLipo utilizes a unique laser that both liquifies fat cells and destroys them, while simultaneously tightening the skin for much smoother results than traditional liposuction.
How much fat will SmartLipo remove?
SmartLipo can remove over a gallon of fat (approximately 10 pounds) in a single session.* You can expect 50–80% of the fat that you can pinch in an area to be removed in one treatment leaving you with a slimmer, more youthful body contour. *
Does SmartLipo treat cellulite?
SmartLipo provides a unique advantage and may improve cellulite, which is often made worse by traditional liposuction methods. When passed underneath the skin the SmartLipo laser will stimulate collagen production for up to three months post treatment. As collagen grows, the overlying skin will begin to tighten. Some patients experience as much as 50% skin tightening with use of the SmartLipo laser.* We may recommend a combination of Accent cellulite reduction treatment and SmartLipo for patients wanting optimal results
How many SmartLipo treatments will I need?
For most patients, only one treatment is required. The sessions last approximately one hour per treated area.
What if I have a larger area of accumulated fat, will SmartLipo help?
SmartLipo can safely be combined with VASER LipoSelection, Custom Acoustic Liposuction or Body-Jet Liposuction to get rid of large areas of accumulated fat. You will have the skin tightening effects of SmartLipo along with the larger desired volume reduction capable with our other technology.
Are there any contraindications to treatment with SmartLipo?
- Significant systemic illness or illness to the area of treatment
- Medical history for occult systemic illness
- Pregnancy or recent pregnancy within the last 3 months
- Recent abdominal surgery or disorders of the lower abdomen (i.e. hernia, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, spastic colon etc.) This applies to patient desiring abdominal contouring
- acute infections
- heart failure
- intolerance to anesthesia
- allergy to lidocaine or epinephrine
- keloid scar formation
- poor wound healing
How do I prepare for treatment?
- Blood tests are required two weeks prior to treatment
- Arrange for transportation to and from the office
- Fill prescription and take medications as outlined by our staff prior to treatment
- If you take a blood thinner (baby aspirin, coumadin, plavix, etc.) please let us know as this affects your care and post surgical treatment
- No aspirin, ibuprofen (i.e. Advil, Aleve, Motrin etc), steroids or anti-inflammatory medications other than Tylenol within two weeks of the procedure. Also discontinue all multivitamins, St. John’s wort, Ginko Biloba, Fish Oil or Omega–3 Fatty acids
- We recommend that you refrain from all alcohol consumption one week prior to treatment
- Drink large amounts of water (1–2 quarts per day) for one week prior to your procedure
- Please bathe the day of the procedure and do not apply any creams or make-up
- Wear comfortable clothes
Am I an ideal candidate for SmartLipo?
In general, SmartLipo is ideal for patients who are in good health and within 25 lbs. of their ideal weight. These patients often have one or more body areas of local fat deposits where diet or exercise have had little to no effect and are motivated to rid themselves of these fatty areas permanently.
With any cosmetic procedure, it is important to have realistic expectations. Our doctors will consult with you before the procedure to make sure SmartLipo is right for you and to give you an idea of what your individual results will be.
What should I expect post treatment?
After the treatment you will need to wear a compression garment for approximately two weeks depending on the area being treated.* You should refrain from hot-tubs, ocean water, or bath tubs for 4 weeks post treatment to avoid infection.
Patients are advised to avoid strenuous exercise for two weeks post treatment. You will be able to advance your activity after two weeks as tolerated.
Antibiotics will be prescribed beginning one day before treatment and will continue for up to 10 days post treatment to avoid infection. Light massage to the treated area can begin 10–12 days post treatment. Continuous improvement may be seen over a six month period.*
Please Contact Our GentleCare Laser Aesthetics Medical Staff to Schedule an Appointment for your Consultation with Dr. Tariq Khan.